CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Sometimes you just have to rag on your own profession

So if you have read the post on the kids' website than you know that William's ear infection was not resolved in his right ear. Since the child now has a rash that covers his entire body after being on the Amoxicillin the pediatrician thought it would be wise to try a different class of antibiotics. So last night after work and after running about 2 hours of errands I finally went to pick up his prescription at 10 o'clock at night in the Walgreens drive thru. I have had issues with this pharmacy for the past 3 years because I have never been counseled on any medications that I have ever picked up and don't know if I have even seen the same pharmacist twice. Anyway tonight after getting home with his Omnicef 250 mg/5ml I went to draw up his syringe to lay out for Brian to give his medications in the morning. The direction said " Give William 3 teaspoonfuls by mouth daily for 10 days". Okay I know I'm tired and its been a long day but come on who in the heck filled this?!? I called up to the pharmacy and asked to speak to the pharmacist. I didn't tell her that I was a pharmacist but just told her that I just picked up William's Omnicef and could you please go over the directions with me. She proceeded to tell me she could see my concern but in defense to the pharmacist who filled it looks like it was written for 750 ml so that would be 3 tsp and then she stopped talking. Was she for real?!? I finally told her that I was a pharmacist and based off of his weight that the dose should be 146 mg so I'm sure the doctor wrote it for 150 mg and not 750 mg. I then told her that maybe it would be wise to just give him 3 ml tonight instead of the 3 tsp! All she kept saying was it really looks like a 7. Okay is she for real? Of course I was never counseled on the new prescription so she didn't even catch it when I picked it up just 20 minutes before the phone call. I know that even it he got the 3 tsp if wouldn't have been life threatening or anything but what if it was cough medicine or something that could be dangerous? I know that retail pharmacist are over worked and all of that but even if you are busy you think even you would questioned giving a child and even more a baby anything that was 3 tsp at a time. All I can say is come on! I'm not worried about my kids but what about all the lay people that don't have any knowledge about this. It just makes me upset about how she just tried to gloss right over the issue. I wonder if I was just a person with no medical background calling up there would she have convinced the person to give their child 3 tsp of the medication because the prescription looked like it was written for 750 ml instead of 150 ml? I just haven't figured out how I'm going to handle this but first I just need to calm down.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

That is insane! I'd like to know how you decide to handle this!

nan said...

I can't believe that. People like me would have given him that dosage, I wouldn't have known.. But, I wouldn't use walgreens anymore and I would complain get on website or something.. I will let everyone know and tell them not to use them. That is why I call you when I need dosage info.. I use HEB or Walmart and they always consult me..

nan

Anonymous said...

I am relieved that you caught the mistake. Just imagine how many do not until it is too late. The RPh should have been more aware of the high dose - at least just based on experience of seeing scripts written for little ones and knowing that 3 tsp is a lot. This makes me upset too - both as a mom and retail RPh. You should definitely follow up with the the RPh manager and/or district manager. FYI - I love the blog!